The Isabey Mosque in Selçuk (near Ephesus) is a beautiful example of Selçuk-Turkish architecture in an atmospheric location. It is the oldest known example of a Turkish mosque with a courtyard.
The Isabey Mosque was built in 1375 at the direction of the Emir of Aydin. Columns and stones from the ruins of the city of Ephesus and the Temple of Artemis were incorporated into the building. The mosque was restored in 1934.
The mosque is located just beneath the citadel in Selçuk near the Basilica of St. John. It measures 51m (153 feet) by 57m (171 feet) including a large courtyard.
The mosque itself consists of two lateral aisles covered with two domes in the center. The surviving brick minaret on the north side has an octagonal base. The west facade is covered in marble, carved with beautiful geometric designs and calligraphy inscriptions.
Inside there are a mihrab and pulpit, both made of marble, and painted turquoise tiles in the domes. The columns of the interior are Classical, from the local ruins.
Today in spring storks can be seen nesting on the minaret, oblivious to the calls to prayer emanating from the loudspeakers.